Friday, February 25, 2011

Trip to Cambridge, London and Paris to complete the visits for the course

I recently took a 10-day trip to Cambridge, London and Paris to visit the places required in the course as well as visit the art museums. It was a wonderful trip. I was able to view great original art works and learn a lot from guided tours. I bought a lot of guidebooks and took pictures and made sketches of my visit.

Here are the places that I visited:
Classical building: British Museum, London
 Gothic church: Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris

Art gallery: Musee de l'Orangerie, Paris
Townhouse: Linley Sambourne House, London
Town square: Trafalgar Square, London
Artist studio: Marcus McCallister, Paris
Portrait gallery: National Portrait Gallery, London
Cast gallery: Museum of Classical Archaeology, Cambridge, UK
Interesting interior: Apsley House, London
Landscape: The Backs and River Cam, Cambridge
Other art-related activities I did:
- participated in a portrait and figure painting session with a live model at National Portrait Gallery
- visited the Mondrian/de Stijl exhibition at Centre Pompidou, Paris
- bought at 1930's Italian painting of a street scene in Naples at Portobello Antique Market
- joined a walking tour of the National Gallery, London
- bought a book "How to Write Art History" at Foyle's London

It was a good trip. I get to have 'eyes-on' experience of art, which inspires me to progress in this course. I hope to go back to Paris and visit Musee d'Orsay and Musee Picasso when they finish their renovation and also catch some art in Italy and New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment